Central Michigan QB David Moore tests positive for banned substance; university to appeal NCAA decision

cmufootballsept14-22

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore receives instructions from coaches on the sideline against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore has tested positive for a banned substance and been suspended by the NCAA.

The university announced it plans to appeal the NCAA's decision. Moore is ineligible to play through the appeals process. 

While Central Michigan did not deny Moore's positive test, it cited the use of an over-the-counter nutritional supplement as the likely cause. 

The university, which found out about Moore's positive test Monday, did not detail the specific over-the-counter supplement the quarterback used.

According to the NCAA, the penalty for a positive test of a performance-enhancing drug is automatic. If the ruling is upheld, Moore will lose one full year of eligibility and will be withheld from competition for 365 days from the date of the test.

For a second positive test of a banned substance, the quarterback would lose all remaining eligibility.

Central Michigan Athletic Director Michael Alford met with Moore and football coach Jim McElwain. He announced the decision to appeal the NCAA's ruling.

“The university partners with the NCAA to ensure its student-athletes play by the rules and exhibit the highest level of conduct," Alford said in a press release. "Based on the university’s review of the available evidence, the university has decided to appeal this ruling.”

Throughout the suspension, regardless of the ruling is upheld, Moore will be allowed to practice.

When McElwain was the head coach at Florida from 2015-17, Gator quarterback Will Grier received a one-year suspension on Oct. 12, 2015. He tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug but said the positive test came from an over-the-counter supplement called Ligandrol – a treatment for muscle wasting and osteoporosis.

Grier said he was unaware the supplement was banned and never followed the correct protocol to clear the product with Florida football trainers.

The appeal from Grier was rejected by the NCAA. He transferred from Florida two months later.

Moore came to Central Michigan from Garden City Community College, where he played the 2018 season after transferring from Memphis. 

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound junior quarterback has completed 94 of 164 passes for 1,143 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions.

After starting quarterback Quinten Dormady sustained a knee injury in Week 2 against Wisconsin, Moore took over the duties as starter.

Moore has led CMU to a 2-2 record since becoming the starting quarterback, defeating Akron (45-24) and Eastern Michigan (42-16) while losing to the Miami Hurricanes (17-12) and Western Michigan (31-15). 

Dormady has since returned from injury and spent the Oct. 5 game against the Eagles dressed in his pads and uniform on the sideline with his helmet on. Before the game, he took reps with the second-team offense. He did not play in the 26-point win.

When asked on Oct. 7 about the status of Moore's starting job due to Dormady's return to full health, McElwain did not give a definitive answer.

"That'll be determined as we go," McElwain said. "In the meantime, it's good to have your guys get healthy."

The Chippewas play New Mexico State Oct. 12 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The Aggies are 0-6.