EDITORIAL: To our readers, supporters and clients, thank you

cm-life-winter-1-70
The staff of CM Life poses for a photo in the snow in 1970.

Over the past few weeks, members of the Fall 2019 editorial team have been collecting stories and researching the history of our storied history at CM Life for its 100th anniversary. 

We’ve listened to historians tell us about the time our sports reporters chose “Bearcats” as the university mascot. We learned about a shopping center that burned down and took the life of a CM Life photographer and two others in 1963. And the list goes on. 

We’ve also been collecting incredible stories that CM Life has published in the last century. Everything from covering the 1974 national championship to an off-campus housing experiment where CM Life exposed racial discrimination. 

We were taken aback when told about some of the crazy stuff that we’ve reported on in our history. 

Without readers and advertising clients, however, we wouldn’t have been able to publish any of these stories. That is why we wanted to take a second to thank you. 

To all the professors, students, sources, clients, readers and administrators who have crossed CM Life’s path throughout the years, thank you. 

We wouldn’t have been able to have any of this history without you. And we are speaking for more than just the current staff. Former CM Life staffers who are now spread throughout the country in local newsrooms are also grateful for the experience you helped bring them through your support. 

In this troubling time of the demise of print journalism, there are lots of changing tides in our industry. One thing we know is journalists, themselves, are only becoming more important to society as we know it. 

CM Life has provided thousands of journalists with a platform to find their voice, purpose and passion in journalism over the past century. 

We’ll need your help to keep it going for another 100 years.