Women's basketball picks up third consecutive win with takedown of Marist

imr0266

Central Michigan guard Micaela Kelly and forward Kyra Bussel high-five after scoring against Marist on Nov. 30 at McGuirk Arena.

Without hesitation, Micaela Kelly hoisted a 3-pointer. 

Kelly's shot fell through the net, the three points vaulted the junior guard into the 1,000-point club. A big smile crept onto her face as she sprinted back on defense for Central Michigan's women's basketball team. 

The Chippewas (3-3) started strong, fought off an early rally and closed even stronger en route to a 77-54 victory over Marist on Saturday in McGuirk Arena. It was the Chippewas' third-straight victory after starting the season 0-3. All of CMU's wins have come at home so far this season. 

Coming into the game, the Red Foxes were unbeaten and ranked No. 9 in College Insider's mid-major top-25 poll. However, the Chippewas were able to take away two pieces that are pivotal to the Red Foxes' game plan -- 3-point shooting and rebounding -- to neutralize their opponent and secure the double-digit victory.

Central Michigan's bench reacts after a made three-pointer against Marist Nov. 30 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan held Marist to just two triples on the afternoon, a significant feat for the Chippewas against a team that averages nine 3-pointers per contest. The Chippewas were also able to outrebound the Red Foxes, 50-29, led by sophomore forward Jahari Smith's nine. Senior forward MacKenna Kelly finished with eight boards to go with her 10 points. The 50 total rebounds are a season-high for CMU. 

The Chippewas led just 35-33 at the half but were able to pull away in the second half thanks to the rebounding edge paired with excellent outside shooting. Micaela Kelly finished with a game-high 23 points on 80% shooting from outside, while junior forward Kyra Bussell added 18. 

Junior guard Maddy Watters also drilled a pair of triples in the third quarter to help fuel the Chippewas' third quarter onslaught in which they outscored the Red Foxes, 23-11. 

Defensively, the Chippewas forced 13 steals, 10 of which were steals. Micaela Kelly led the team with four steals. 

CMU caps its four-game homestand at 7 p.m. Thursday against Iona in McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas then hit the road for six games beginning with a trip to South Dakota State on Dec. 14.