How Jim McElwain balances recruiting with postseason opportunities

jan-12-jim-mcelwain-6
Central Michigan University head football Coach Jim McElwain speaks at halftime at the men's basketball game on Jan. 12 in McGuirk Arena.

The holidays are already a busy time for a college football coach. Throw in a championship game and preparation for a bowl game, and things could get a little tiresome. 

Despite juggling recruiting with preparing for the Mid-American Conference championship game and Saturday's New Mexico Bowl, Central Michigan's Jim McElwain won't complain. 

"I tell you what, I like where we were at," McElwain said. "It was an honor to play in that game."

After the Chippewas suffered a 26-21 defeat at the hands of Miami (Ohio) in the MAC title game, McElwain and his staff immediately shifted their focus to recruiting. Though just for one week, McElwain said it was good to get a week on the road courting future players while his current athletes shifted their focus to exams. 

"We had one week on the road," McElwain said. "Our kids had finals that week and were able to get some things done."

With the Chippewas set to travel Wednesday to Albuquerque, New Mexico to prepare for their bowl game, McElwain added that the recruiting staff and compliance officers will travel with the team and handle all of their duties while stationed in Albuquerque. With the flight, McElwain won't be able to officially know who signs until the team lands. 

"You guys will know who signs before we do," he said. 

McElwain noted that the program hosted a handful of commits over the past weekend. He made it clear that despite the busy schedule, it is an exciting time to be a Chippewa. 

"We're excited about those guys who are going to sign and join our team," he said. "I tell you what, coaches are pretty tired right now, and yet that's great. We're going to a bowl game and we've got signing day Wednesday and that's pretty exciting."

Follow along with live Central Michigan recruiting updates during the NCAA early signing period.