Despite key departures, bright future of Central Michigan offensive line lies ahead

powell-woods
Central Michigan offensive lineman Deiyantei Powell-Woods celebrates with running back Kobe Lewis after a touchdown is scored against Toledo Nov. 29 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Steve Eipper chuckled when asked about the future of Central Michigan's offensive line. 

The Chippewas will lose three starters, Eipper, Clay Walderzak and Oge Udeogu to graduation, leaving holes at center, right guard and left tackle. 

Eipper was asked to provide reporters with names to look out for next season. 

"The whole offensive line," he said.

With such a simple comment, Eipper provided his sense of unbridled confidence when it comes to next year's replacements in the trenches. He mentioned freshmen Deiyantei Powell-Woods and Danny Motowski as players who will have major impacts next season. 

"They're all gonna be good," Eipper said, "but I think those two, they've had significant playing time this year, so I think they have a leg up on everybody."

Eipper also mentioned junior guard Derek Smith as a player expected to stand out as a leader. 

Current starting right tackle Luke Goedeke will also return next season. Also returning to the mix will be Tyden Ferris and Nick Follmer, who both have playing experience.

First-year coach Jim McElwain bolstered his offensive line class by bringing in three recruits: Keegan Smith (Jackson, Michigan), Braden Doyle (Green Bay, Wisconsin) and Ronald Novosedliak (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). 

Director of player personnel Albert Karschnia is excited about the potential of the three commits. 

"When you think about the offensive line, it's those tough Midwest kids," Karschnia said. "They'll be shorter or won't have the crazy star rating, but between Smith, Doyle and Ronnie, those are three kids that we are going to be able to build on up front."

Smith is the highest-rated of the three. The three-star recruit already has the size to compete at the Division I level, weighing in at 315 pounds. He played at Lumen Christi High School, a football powerhouse within the state of Michigan.

"You watch his film and you see toughness right away," McElwain said. "He's looking to finish guys every time the ball is snapped." 

Smith and Doyle project as guards while Novosedliak looks to be a tackle.

Udeogu, Walderzak and Eipper will have combined to start 69 games for the Chippewas when their careers end Saturday following the New Mexico Bowl matchup with San Diego State. 

Eipper noted that players such as Motowski and Powell-Woods were able to get significant time due to offensive line coach Mike Cummings' awareness to get those youngsters needed experience.

"I think that's something coach Cummings has in mind," Eipper said. "I think that's the reason that he put Danny and Deiyantei in for a couple drives each game. Just to get them experience because we're gonna need them next year."

The graduating senior trio has experienced the ebbs and flows of college football, from going 1-11 to Mid-American Conference West Division champions. From each experience they got a bit better, eventually developing into the players they are today. 

It's about experience. 

According to Eipper, the future is in good hands.