University increases parking meter rates and ticket fees

parking-ticket

An issued CMU parking services summer semester parking ticket sits on the windshield of a car Aug. 12 in the parking outside Moore Hall.

On June 25, Central Michigan University Board of Trustees approved a request to increase parking meter prices from 25 cents to 50 cents per hour and increase ticket fines by $5 and late fees by $10.

With this increase, a meter parking violation is now $15 and parking in the wrong lot, parking with no pass or parking in a restricted area is now $30.

The Parking Department conducted a review of the university’s parking ordinances, fees and rates. CMU had not changed or addressed parking rates in over a decade.

Stephanie Williams, Business Operations Manager at the CMU Police and Parking Department, said the department was aligning its rates with the Mount Pleasant community and comparable universities. 

“Our current parking rates and fees still remain below the vast majority of the comparable universities,” Williams said.

More than 77 percent of parking revenue generated, including parking permit sales, parking violation fees and meter parking, supports university operations and maintenance related projects. The remaining dollars support the parking operations budget and a portion pays for police training, Williams said.

To date, the sale of CMU parking permits has been in alignment with prior years.

More information about parking can be found at CMU parking service’s website.