Demarcus Governor enters transfer portal

lrm-export-16113257070267-20191102-200000255

Central Michigan defensive back Demarcus Governor, left, and Devonni Reed celebrate with teammates after beating Northern Illinois Nov. 2 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan defensive back Demarcus Governor has entered the NCAA transfer portal. He announced his decision on Oct. 27 via Twitter. 

"I've built great relationships here at Central Michigan University in the locker room and outside of it," Governor's tweet read, "I have never experienced a dull moment and forever grateful for the experience. That being said, I have officially entered the transfer portal." 

Governor leaves after one season with the program. As a true freshman, he played in 11 games and made one tackle. He was a 3-star prospect coming out of Durant High School as part of the Chippewas' 2019 class. 

In high school, the Plant City, Florida native was named first-team all-conference as both a cornerback and return man. He was a team captain and named one of the top 100 players in his region by the Tampa Bay Times. 

Governor was primarily a cornerback, a position the Chippewas have plenty of depth at. Transfers Richard Bowens III and Brian Edwards are projected to be the starters, while Darius Bracy and Brandon Brown return after starting games last season. True freshman Daedae Hill has also been impressive in fall camp at the position. 

Upon transferring, Governor will have three seasons of eligibility left and has a redshirt year available.