Dates of spring "wellness days" announced at academic senate meeting

screen-shot-2020-10-28-at-4-47-23-pm

Senators discussed the altered spring semester and announced the dates of the seven "wellness days" in its Oct. 27 academic senate meeting.

The wellness days will take place on the following dates:

• Thursday, Feb. 4
  • Monday, Feb. 22
  • Wednesday, March 10
  • Tuesday, March 23
  • Friday, April 2
  • Wednesday, April 7
  • Friday, April 30

Spring Break has been altered for the upcoming semester to prevent students from traveling during the COVID-19 pandemic. CMU added these seven wellness days in lieu of a week-long break.

"Both students and faculty are looking for breaks," Provost Mary Schutten said during her report. "We're committed to trying to make these the best wellness days possible." 

Interim Executive Director of OCRIE and Title IX coordinator Mary Martinez held a presentation for the Academic Senate covering CMU's policies on Title IX conduct and sexual and gender-based misconduct. 

Other business

• After much debate, the Senate voted on a policy to include CMED faculty in the President and Provost Award for Outstanding Research.
  • The Academic Senate encourages professors to suspend major in-class assignments and exams and to excuse absences for students voting on November 3, election day. CMU encourages students and faculty to go and vote. 
  • The program Master of Science in Administration: Sport Administration was deleted effective Spring 2021 semester, the program has been on hiatus since 2015.
  • The search committee for the Dean of the College of Science and Engineering has completed its first round of interviews.
  • The College of Medicine announced its first endowed chair, Dr. Kathleen Meert, chair of the department of pediatric discipline at the College of Medicine.
  • The Committee on Committees approved the elections of 10 candidates to various committees.

Academic Senate meetings are recorded and live-streamed available to the public for free on CMU's website.