University Communications unveils new brand, marketing techniques at academic senate

screen-shot-2020-10-14-at-1-46-48-pm

Central Michigan University's new advertising brand and marketing techniques were officially unveiled to the academic senate during its Oct. 13 meeting.

Director of Integrated Marketing in University Communications (UCOMM) Abigail Dean guided the senate through the "We Do." campaign - focusing on its goals and the research it took to build it. 

Dean said the research process took almost a year including interviews and surveying. 

"One of the findings in this research is that our academic excellence does not receive the attention that we know that it deserves," Dean said. 

The brand intends to take a modern approach by hyper-targeting digital advertisements on video and music streaming services and social media, Dean said. The "We Do." brand will also emphasize leadership, community building and internal pride.

After the presentation, Dean and Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer John Veilleux answered questions from senators.      

Senator JoEllen DeLucia of the English Language and Literature department asked about the cost of the new social media policy. 

The university has implemented new content management software to help with social media engagement. Veilleux said each department that uses the new software will cover the costs: $12.75 per month plus an additional $3.40 per month for each social media account the department runs.

DeLucia worries the fee is too much for her program.

Dean said the new techniques will uphold four pillars: exemplifying a "fired-up attitude," setting the leadership standard for the community, students and faculty uplifting one another and a focus on real-world results.

Other business

• Senate Chairperson Katrina Piatek-Jimenez, Senate Secretary Andrew Devenney and Senate Executive Board Member JoEllen DeLucia were re-elected into their respective positions for the Spring 2021 semester.
  • At the request of some faculty, the president and provost will release a message encouraging students to engage and attend in-person classes more fully as the semester closes.
  • CMU has officially been accepted into the Adobe Creative Campus Program as a way of helping students and teachers conduct online classes. Students can learn more about the program and how it can be used on the official website.
  • CMU celebrated and congratulated the 14 employees to be nominated and win the Staff Excellence Award for the 2019-2020 school year.
  • The Committee on Committees confirmed the election of 17 candidates to various committees, including seven students.

Academic Senate meetings are live-streamed and recorded every other Tuesday on the CMU homepage.