By the numbers: CMU knocks off NIU with dominant performance

kobe-gamer
Junior running back Kobe Lewis kneels before Central Michigan's game at Northern Illinois in DeKalb, Illinois.

Behind a strong third quarter performance, Central Michigan knocked off Mid-American Conference West Division foe Northern Illinois 40-10 on Wednesday night at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, Illinois.

After leading 9-0 entering halftime, the Chippewas (2-0) outscored the Huskies (0-2) 27-10 in the second half, including a dominating 17-0 performance in the third stanza.

Here is a closer look into the numbers of the Chippewas' first road victory of the 2020 campaign:

1 The number of NIU combined first downs in the second and third quarter. The Huskies finished with 13 first downs.   

2.2 The average yards gained per rush by the Huskies. NIU tallied 74 yards off 33 rushing attempts. 

4 The number of fumbles recovered by CMU in 2020. The Chippewas have forced two turnovers in each game this season.

7 The number of turnovers committed by NIU in 2020. The Huskies coughed up the ball five times against Buffalo last week and two on Wednesday. 

6.98 The average number of yards per play for the Chippewas. CMU averaged 9.59 yards a play in the third quarter. 

10:46 The amount of time CMU possessed the ball in the third quarter. The Chippewas possessed the ball for 27:07 in Wednesday’s win.

92 Number of rushing yards by running back Lew Nichols III. The redshirt freshman earned 89 yards in 2019. 

179.3 The quarterback rating of CMU quarterback Daniel Richardson. The redshirt freshman finished 13-of-19 with two touchdowns and one interception.

211 The number of yards earned by the Chippewas in the third quarter. NIU was held to only 47 yards.

380 The number of rushing yards by CMU in 2020. Senior Kobe Lewis leads the rushing attack with 174 yards this season. 

523 Amount of CMU yards on the ground against NIU under coach Jim McElwain. CMU picked up 327 yards rushing in 2019.