Spirit shines bright: Global pandemic, power outage fails to halt Marching Chips

Global pandemic, power outage fails to halt marching chips

Freshman Gino Rimanelli plays the flute during band practice Nov. 9 near Foust Hall.

Midland freshman Caryn Wenban was excited for her first performance as a member of the Chippewa marching band. 

The opportunity to continue her passion for music seemed lost due to the ongoing global pandemic surrounding COVID-19. The Mid-American Conference’s decision to play a six-game schedule on Sept. 25 revived the opportunity for Wenban and the entire CMB. 

After sitting in the stands to watch her sister Katie and Lauren march in the past, it was Caryn’s opportunity to follow in her sibling’s footsteps. With only 1:17 left until the first halftime of the 2020 season, the story of Wenban’s first halftime show would trump that of her older sisters.

From seemingly out of nowhere, the lights at Kelly/Shorts Stadium turned dark, causing confusion and a mixed bag of other emotions among everyone in attendance. The first game of CMU’s 2020 campaign was met with a city-wide power outage. 

“At first, I thought maybe they were supposed to go out for some special effect, but that wasn’t the case,” Wenban said. “After that I think (myself) and all the other members of the band thought it was actually neat and exciting because nothing like this has ever happened to us before.”

The only sources of light for the stadium came from the moon, scoreboard, flashlights from cellphones of band members and the debuting Chippewa Champions Center.

While senior drum major Gabrielle Bass was confused like everyone else, the first thought that popped into the Lake Isabella native’s head became ‘of course this is happening, it's 2020' as the band reminded everyone why they're known as 'The Spirit of the Stadium"

“I see it as how the spirit of the stadium will always do something to keep the momentum,” Bass said. “It's one of those moments where you just stare and smile. I thought to myself ‘yeah, these are my people.'"

The band proceeded with their socially-distanced halftime show, performing two pieces written by classical composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky in dark stands across multiple sections of Kelly/Shorts Stadium. As the climax to 1812 Overture began to take over the stadium, the lights slowly began to come back on with a cannon firing in the background. 

“Playing these fantastic classical pieces in a blackout stadium was a really cool experience, and I dare say that was the best we had ever played,” said Cadillac junior Jordan Healey. 

CMU would defeat Ohio 30-27 to claim their first victory of the year to cap off a memorable week one. With no ticketed fans or students in the stands, the CMU football team relied on not only their own energy, but energy from the CMB, especially when the Bobcats were driving toward the south end zone.

“(The) band does an unbelievable job,” said head coach Jim McElwain. “To see our guys celebrate with them afterward was pretty special.”

While junior linebacker George Douglas said attendance restrictions helped with communication on the field, the band’s presence was still felt for all 60 minutes and after the game as well.

Douglas, a Ypsilanti native, said celebrating with the band after the win was important to him and the rest of the team.

“I love our band to death,” Douglas said. “They support us when we’re good, when we’re down or when we’re bad. They are always making noise, doing their thing. It’s always fun to celebrate with them.”

While the events of Nov. 4 will be discussed among those in attendance for a long time, both the game itself and the CMB’s performance were a gift. The next performance is not guaranteed. 

A spike in COVID-19 cases could send students to their hometowns, ending the 2020 marching season. A cancellation of a home game due to an outbreak of the virus not only forces CMU football to sit a week out, but sidelines the CMB as well. 

“If it ended up being that way, I would be extremely satisfied with the way the season has gone. With everything that has happened, I consider us so fortunate that we were able to have a season at all and not only practice together but perform as well,"  Healey said. “Many college marching bands didn't get this opportunity, so the fact that we not only got to rehearse, but show the university what we've been doing, is unlike anything else I could've imagined.”

Both of the bands at Michigan and Michigan State have opted to march virtually for the 2020 season. 

“I'm very grateful that we all got to come together,” Healey said. “This band and these people are my family. I feel like the luckiest person in the world that despite the obstacles that have been presented, I still have an in-person season with them.”

For Bass, her next step is student teaching in the spring at Meridian High School. Her role as CMB’s fourth modern female drum major, however, is something she does not take for granted. 

Bass was left in awe following the bands first performance and unable to find the right words as her mind raced about everything leading up to Wednesday’s game both for the band and herself. Knowing this could have been her last time performing with the CMB, she told the band "if this was the last, it was perfect."

“And I absolutely mean it,” Bass said. “This journey has made me who I am today, and I will cherish every experience and memory for the rest of my life."