GoFundMe started to rename Kelly/Shorts Stadium radio booth

312b3578-ccf3-4bd9-aedf-3f8877e253fc

(From left) Don Chiodo, Adam Jaksa and Brock Gutierrez in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. 

Don Chiodo was responsible for calling many of Central Michigan's most memorable sports moments.

Chiodo took over as the main play-by-play broadcaster for the Chippewa football and men's basketball in 2010 and served as the "Voice of the Chippewas" until he died in Dec. 2019 in an auto accident near Gratiot County.

Just over a year following Chiodo's death, his son-in-law, Matt Columbus, started a GoFundMe page to rename the radio booth at Kelly/Shorts Stadium after Chiodo. 

"During the days, weeks, and months after his passing the family came to realize the immense impact that Don had on so many people thanks to hundreds of people reaching out to share their stories about Don," Columbus wrote on the GoFundMe page. "Those stories were a light in a very dark time for the family and opened our eyes to all of the people Don had an impact on during his life."

As of March 30, the site has raised more than $11,400 toward the naming rights of the booth. 

Donations may be made directly to the GoFundMe page or to CMU Athletics by contacting CMU Deputy Athletic Director of External Operations Craig Willey over the phone. Those wishing to send a physical check should mail it to the following address:

Craig Willey
Deputy Athletic Director
Rose Center 105
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859