CMU soccer takes down arch rival Western Michigan

1ba434e6-a85c-47dc-968f-93c2e697bab6

The team celebrates a first-half goal against Ball State on Sunday, March 7 at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

Samantha Kaye-Toral came off the bench to fire the final strike to claim the top spot for CMU in the Mid-American Conference West Division.

The Chippewas take a dominant win over in-state rival Western Michigan in a 2-0 victory Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

CMU (3-1) took its third-straight victory with the win over WMU (2-1-1) giving the Broncos their first loss of the season.

“If we do the right things then we’re going to get the result and over the past three games that’s what we’re starting to see,” said CMU head coach Jeremy Groves. “We’re starting to do the right thing which is awesome from a coaches perspective and now we’re getting the rewards which is really cool for the players.”

Coming into Thursday’s game, Western had not allowed a single goal through its first three games and CMU put an end to that streak early in the second half. 

“Coming into the games this spring the thing was, are we going to be able to be composed enough to stay on the ball and keep playing,“ Groves said. “Full credit to the team and the players, that’s what they’ve done and their playing very well right now.”

CMU’s defense didn’t allow a single shot in the first half maintaining possession and control through the first 45 minutes. Western had a brief offensive spark to start the second but quickly ran out of gas as the Chippewas out-ran and out-maneuvered the visitors. After a foul-heavy performance last week, CMU was able to maintain its composure and focus to dial in an impressive all-around performance and sound victory.

TALE OF TWO HALVES

A defensive bout between the Chippewas and Broncos for the first 20 minutes of the first half. Though both teams were scoreless, CMU proved to be much more effective on both ends of the field. Around the 25-minute mark the Chippewas began a consistent attack on the goal putting up 11 shots, six on goal as well as five corners. CMU freshman Jaelyn Dobrowolski put up four of those shots commanding the center and offensive side of the field. But with all those shots Western senior Maggie Rogers was able to anchor the Broncos defense with 6 saves.

Within five minutes of the second half CMU was able to reapply its offensive pressure to score the first goal of the game and Western‘s first goal allowed all season. Western appeared to light a spark as it was able to get its first shot of the game shortly after Central’s goal. With nearly eight minutes left, Kaye-Toral — a senior for the Chippewas — scored the dagger 15 minutes into her substitution.

SCORING PLAYS

With 40:09 left in the second half, CMU senior Amanda Britain struck a chip shot right over the head of Western‘s goalkeeper off an assist from senior Natalie Belsito.

At the 81:19 mark, Kaye-Toral struck the back of the net giving the Chippewas their second goal of the game.

KEY STATS

CMU put up 16 shots and put nine on goal.

Western put up nine shots and three on goal, all in the second half.

CMU had six corners compared to Western‘s three.

Rogers had seven saves for the Broncos. 

UP NEXT

The Chippewas are on the road for the third time this season to face Northern Illinois at 4 p.m. Sunday at the NIU Soccer Complex in DeKalb, Illinois. CMU won the last matchup between the squads in 2019. 

SCORING SUMMARY

2nd (49:51): CMU (1-0) – Amanda Britain (Belsito)

2nd (81:19): CMU (2-0) – Samantha Kaye-Toral (unassisted)