CMU soccer takes second consecutive victory on the road

14d4f9ec-95c8-4d8a-aa45-2f192fde911f

Wolverine Lake senior Amanda Britain is checked off the ball against Ball State, Mar. 7.

Natalie Belsito sniped the deciding goal in the back left corner of the net for her third goal in three games.

Scrappy and physical would best describe Friday's game as CMU’s precision on the offensive attack to give the Chippewas a 2-1 win over Toledo at the Scott Park Soccer Complex.

CMU (2-1) earned its second straight victory of the season against Toledo (0-3) after a clutch overtime win last week against Ball State.

Physicality was the main point in Friday's match with a total of 16 fouls. CMU showed discipline and poise, while Toledo’s young squad ended up with three yellow cards and a few warnings.

While the Chippewa offense shined, their defense held strong only allowing nine shots and two corners. Besides their lone goal, the Rockets had a tough time finding open space with any looks to score. 

TALE OF TWO HALVES

A hot start for Toledo in the first 12 minutes of the first half led to the game's first goal and control on the offensive end. Following Toledo’s goal, however, CMU found itself to be in complete control for the remaining 28 minutes of the first half. The Chippewas had eight shots, compared to UT's three in the opening frame. 

CMU was able to draw two yellow cards off the Rockets, as well. 

A Hail Mary shot attempt for Toledo with 25 seconds remaining in the first half nearly tied the game, but the shot bounced of the crossbar. The second half was more of a contest for the Chippewas, but they were able to notch the winning goal. While both teams had notable time on the attack, CMU proved more capable giving itself better opportunities to score. 

SCORING PLAYS

Toledo senior Sophia Lewis had a breakaway for the opening goal of game at the 33:01 mark in the first half.

CMU answered back with the equalizing goal from, junior Fotini Demetriou off a corner kick and deflection off Toledo with 16:36 left to play in the first half.

Midway through the second half CMU senior Natalie Belsito struck the ball for the go-ahead goal after an offensive roll for the Chippewas.

KEY STATS

CMU struck 16 shots and put nine on goal.

Toledo had seven shots, with four on goal.

Rocket freshman Emma Boutorwick had 6 saves.

CMU had 10 corners compared to Toledo’s two.

A total of 16 fouls, nine for Toledo and seven for CMU.

UP NEXT

The Chippewas comes back home to face Western at 3 p.m. Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. CMU dropped the lone matchup to the rival side in 2019 with a 1-0 loss in Mount Pleasant.

SCORING SUMMARY

1st (11:59): Toledo (1-0) -- Sophia Lewis (unassisted)

1st (28:24): CMU (1-1) -- Fotini Demetriou (unassisted)

2nd (63:32): CMU (2-1) -- Natalie Belsito (unassisted)