Soccer falls to EMU 1-0

1ba434e6-a85c-47dc-968f-93c2e697bab6

The team celebrates a first-half goal against Ball State on Sunday, March 7 at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

Despite mustering a season-high 20 shots on goal, CMU Women's Soccer was shutout for the first time in 2021. 

The Chippewas fell to Eastern Michigan 1-0 Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

After claiming the top spot of the Mid-American Conference West Division two weeks ago, CMU (4-3) has dropped two spots in the rankings as EMU (5-2) are now atop the division.

The Eagles lone penalty shot and goal proved to be the deciding factor. CMU set the pace throughout the game, but EMU allowed minimal breathing room. During the second half CMU engaged in all-out on the offensive attack, but proved costly to the the teams energy level in the games final 10 minutes.

The Chippewas are now 0-2 this season against their in-state foe and last defeated the Eagles in 2017. 

TALE OF TWO HALVES

The first half was an even matchup, but CMU committed a costly foul that led to a penalty kick goal for EMU. The Chippewas maintained the majority of the possession through the first with a barrage of shots, more than doubling EMU's shot total 11-5, but only three CMU shots were on goal. 

The Chippewas sputtered initially in the second half due to EMU's defensive pressure. Around the 60-minute mark CMU found their offensive spark again, registering nine total shots and five shots on goal. The Chippewas were more accurate with their second half shots, but no goals resulted. EMU’s defense stymied the Chippewas offensive attack in the closing minutes as exhaustion became visible for the Chippewas.

SCORING PLAYS

At the 37:52 mark in the first half Eastern Michigan sophomore midfielder Amanda Cripps rolled a shot into the bottom right of the net off a penalty kick.

KEY STATS

CMU posted up 20 shots and registered eight on goal. CMU earned 10 fouls the the Eagles six. EMU received four corner opportunities to CMU’s three. 

UP NEXT

Due to a postponed matchup against Toledo this Sunday, the Chippewas will play against Western Michigan at 4 p.m. Thursday at the WMU Soccer Complex in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

SCORING SUMMARY

1st (37:52) EMU (1-0) – Amanda Cripps