Softball takes second doubleheader split at Toledo

softball-4-3-2

The Chippewas bench cheers on the rest of the team during their doubleheader against Ball State April 3 at Margo Jonker Stadium. 

After splitting a home field Mid-American Conference doubleheader with Toledo earlier in the month, CMU looked to settle things once and for all.

The Chippewas (17-27, 15-19) took a weekday trip to Toledo (27-22, 17-16) for another doubleheader, but the team found itself heading home with another split, having won the first game 3-2 and lost the second 2-1.

Game one

Aggressive pitching from Freshman Grace Lehto and all-around work on the field held the Rockets at bay until the bottom of the fourth, giving up a walk and a single to put two on base. The Rockets would score both runner for their only two runs of the game on the next batter, clearing a single to right field.

The Chippewa offensive rallied late, tacking on its first run in the top of the fifth. CMU entered the final frame needing one run to stay alive and two runs to take the game. Utilizing a pair of singles to put two runners on, Samantha Mills and Abbey Tolmie provided back-to-back RBI singles and sent the Chippewas over the top at 3-2.

The Chippewas added two more runs in their final batting frame as Shannon Stein ripped a single deep down the left field line to score Mills and Tolmie.

A pair of singles for Toledo in the bottom of the seventh dropped pressure onto the Chippewas, but a grounder to third base enabled a pinpoint throw from Emily Bracamonte to Stein at first to clear two outs. A clean final pitch from Lehto claimed a flyout to center field, closing the first game with a Chippewa victory at 5-2.

Lehto pitched a full seven innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits and striking out four. 

Game two

The Chippewas tacked on their only run of the game in the top of the second when Shaidan Knapp ripped a double to left center and was driven in by Kelsey Alexander's single on the following play.

Toledo added two runs in the bottom of the second with a double to right field, the only runs the Rockets would produce for the game. Back-to-back singles with a runner on third allowed Toledo catcher Raquel Emery to deny two CMU runs at home on two different plays in the fourth, keeping the Chippewas a run below the Rockets. 

The defense held high for both teams, denying any further runs on either side, which gave Toledo the 2-1 win to split the doubleheader.

Rockets pitcher Makenna Durieux denied the Chippewa offensive, striking out three and allowing one hit on six runs for a full seven innings. 

Cloe Mallory put forth four frames for CMU, allowing two runs on five hits but striking out four.

Caitlyn Britton picked up the final two, allowing one hit and walking one batter.

Up next

The Chippewas will return home to Margo Jonker Stadium for their final series of the season against Ohio. The four-game battle will begin at 3 p.m. on May 14.