Mohamed Diallo drafted 19th overall in CFL Draft

Central Michigan defensive lineman Mohamed Diallo huddles with his position group Dec. 21, 2019, before the New Mexico Bowl at Dreamstyle Stadium in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Mohamed Diallo has entered the ranks of professional football. 

Diallo was drafted 19th overall in the third round by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the CFL Draft Tuesday. He was one of two Mid-American Conference players selected, the other being Eastern Michigan kicker/punter Julien Lake. 

In two seasons with the Chippewas, Diallo made 26 total tackles. After missing the first half of the 2019 season while awaiting an immediate eligibility waiver, Diallo played the final five games of the season. 

He broke out in the shortened 2020 season, producing 9.5 tackles for loss and three sacks. Diallo was forced to move from the defensive interior to defensive end when an injury to starter LaQuan Johnson created a lack of depth at the position. 

Diallo was named first-team All-MAC in 2020. Following the season, Diallo entered the transfer portal. Ultimately, he decided to take the professional route as opposed to using the extra year of eligibility given to all fall student-athletes by the NCAA. 

He began his career at Arizona Western College and finished his junior college career with 30 tackles and two sacks. Following his time at AWC, Diallo transferred to Texas A&M. He played one game and took a redshirt as a junior before transferring to CMU. 

Diallo is the first Chippewa to be selected in the CFL Draft since wide receiver Mark Chapman was selected, also by Hamilton, 1st overall in 2018. Chapman never played a game in the CFL. 

The CFL season was canceled in 2020. In 2019, the Tiger-Cats were 15-3, won the CFL East Division and lost in the Grey Cup final to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Hamilton is coached by Orlando Steinauer. 

Former CMU quarterback Dan LeFevour played three seasons with the Tiger-Cats, from 2012-14. LeFevour made it to two Grey Cup finals, though the Tiger-Cats lost both.