CMU soccer announces three transfers, 2021 schedule

1ba434e6-a85c-47dc-968f-93c2e697bab6

The team celebrates a first-half goal against Ball State on Sunday, March 7 at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

Year three of the Jeremy Groves era is soon to begin.

Under Groves, the Chippewas have compiled a 12-10-4 record and reached the Mid-American Conference tournament in 2019 for the first time since 2016. Last season, CMU was 5-4 in its abbreviated spring season. 

The Chippewas return plenty of contributors, including Jaelyn Dobrowolski, the reigning MAC Freshman of the Year. Allison LaPoint, a sophomore goalie from Royal Oak who started all nine games in net in the spring, and Maria Kaschalk, named second team All-MAC in the spring, are both back for the Chippewas. 

Groves also announced the addition of three transfers Aug. 5. All three are redshirt freshmen.

Alexia Cajilig, a defender from Pickering, Ontario, Canada, comes to the Chippewas from Buffalo. She did not play for the Bulls in the spring and previously played for Pickering Soccer Club and received an invitation to attend the Team Ontario Trials. 

Megan Scholten, a midfielder and Charlevoix native, returns to her home state after a season at Memphis. She did not see game action. She earned first team all-state honors as both a sophomore and junior. 

Gaelle Wells is the third transfer, coming to CMU from Oregon State. Wells hails from Bloomington, Indiana and is a forward. 

The Chippewas have released their 2021 schedule and is highlighted by showdowns with both Michigan and Michigan State. CMU will have seven home games and 10 road games in 2021. 

Here is the full schedule for CMU soccer:
Aug. 11: vs. Virginia (@ Maple City, MI) (Exhibition)
Aug. 19: @ Marquette
Aug. 26: vs. Michigan State
Aug. 29: @ Michigan
Sept. 3: vs. Morehead State
Sept. 9: @ Indiana University/Purdue University-Indianapolis
Sept. 12: @ Eastern Illinois
Sept. 23: @ Miami (Ohio)*
Sept. 26: vs. Ball State*
Sept. 30: vs. Northern Illinois*
Oct. 3: @ Western Michigan*
Oct. 7: vs. Akron*
Oct. 10: @ Buffalo*
Oct. 14: @ Toledo*
Oct. 17: vs. Bowling Green*
Oct. 21: @ Kent State*
Oct. 24: vs. Ohio*
Oct. 28: @ Eastern Michigan*