Booher: Offensive two-deep depth chart prediction

0091239605-christian-booher

Saturday's are about to be fun again. 

Central Michigan football is less than two weeks away from their season opener at Missouri. A large portion of last season’s roster is returning thanks to the coronavirus pandemic granting an extra year of eligibility to 2020 participants. 

This plethora of returning players makes predicting a depth chart fairly easy, but question marks still remain, especially at quarterback.

Let’s take a crack at predicting how the Chippewas will line up on offense week one. 

Quarterback

Starter: Jacob Sirmon (So.)
Backup: Daniel Richardson (R-Fr.) OR Tyler Pape (‘20-Fr.)

Head coach Jim McElwain is not sharing much as to who’s separating themselves from the pack. However, Sirmon has the arm talent to make this offense explosive. That’s why he’s the favorite. 

Richardson has plenty of arm talent, but has to compensate for his 5-10 frame. This is a pivotal camp for him, as McElwain sounds pleased with the performance of Pape. Should he continue to impress, he could assert himself as the backup. 

Other competitors: Jase Bauer (Fr.), Bailey Smith (So.)

Running back

Starter: Lew Nichols III (R-Fr)
Backup: Darius Bracy (Jr.)

The loss of Kobe Lewis to injury is massive. Yet, it’s tough to imagine a scenario anywhere else where the starter is replaced from a backup who’s nearly as good. Nichols is the reigning Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year and primed to climb higher. 

Bracy is a converted defensive back who showed natural instincts in the backfield last year and should get first crack at the backup spot. Marion Lukes’ big-play speed will put pressure on Bracy with Myles Bailey and DJ Stepney also competing for carries. 

Outside wide receiver

Starters: JaCorey Sullivan (Sr.), Dallas Dixon (Jr.)
Backup: LeVar Gumms (Jr.), Drayton Law (Jr.)

Sullivan is back thanks to the pandemic waiver. He’ll slot right in alongside Dixon, who was a pleasant surprise with deep threat ability in 2020. 

Gumms was a standout at Northwestern State under new CMU WR coach Alvin Slaughter. Law has been on the verge of breaking out for a long time, and this might be the year he does it. 

Other competitors: Finn Hogan (Fr.), Alec Ward (‘20 Fr.), Kenny Brewer (R-Fr.)

Slot wide receiver

Starter: Kalil Pimpleton (Jr.)
Backup: Remi Simmons (Sr.)

Pimpleton is a dynamite playmaker and will be leaned on heavily in the offense. Expect to see him all over the field.

Simmons, a graduate transfer from Stephen F. Austin, has shown the coaching staff he’s able to contribute. The 5-foot-9 speedster could wind up being a much needed compliment to Pimpleton.

Other competitors: Tyson Davis (Fr.), Ke’Andre Collins (‘20 Fr.), Zahir Swann (‘20 Fr.)

Tight end

Starter: Joel Wilson (So.)
Backup: Hunter Buczkowski (Sr.)

This will likely be a decision made based on need. Wilson can stretch the field in the passing game while Buczkowski will handle the run duties. 

Wilson needs to stay healthy, as injuries plagued him in 2019 and struggled to get in a rhythm in 2020. Having a tight end who can both run and catch is huge in a vertically oriented offense like McElwain’s, and the Chippewas have just that. 

Other competitors: Keegan Cossou (Jr.), Michael Hegewald (So.), Alec Palella (FR), Hunter Marcom (FR.)

Offensive tackle

Starters: Bernhard Raimann (Jr.), Luke Goedeke (Jr.)
Backups: Vashon Bailey (So.), Deiyantei Powell-Woods (So.)

The Chippewas have potentially one of the best tackle duos in the conference with Raimann and Goedeke. Many thought tackle was a good place for Raimann, but few knew just how well his athleticism would translate to the position. Goedeke, meanwhile, may be limited early as he gets back to 100-percent after a knee injury ended his 2020 season before it even started. 

Behind those two, Powell-Woods has shown the ability to play every position on the offensive line and will provide necessary versatility to spell either. Bailey was mentioned by offensive line coach Mike Cummings as an up-and-comer at the position and stands a massive 6-foot-7. 

Other competitors: Albert Jespersen (R-Fr.), Aarion Harvey (So.)

Offensive guard

Starters: Danny Motowski (So.), Tyden Ferris
Backups: Braden Doyle (‘20 Fr.), Keegan Smith ('20 Fr.) 

Motowski is another player working to get back to full health. After a solid freshman season he dealt with injuries in 2020, but is expected to return to form this season. Sixth-year mainstay Derek Smith entered the transfer portal, paving the way for Ferris to step into a starting role. 

Doyle is a greyshirt freshman who the coaches feel very good about. Klimczak is a walk-on in his third year who helped the Chippewas in 2020 by providing depth to a position that was light on numbers.

Other competitors: Powell Woods, Harvey, Cade Klimczak (R-Fr.)

Center

Starter: Jamezz Kimbrough (Jr.)
Backup: Keegan Smith

Kimbrough moved from guard to center in 2020 and had his ups and downs at the position. Another year at center should help his development and the coaching staff expects better production at the position this season. 

Smith is a freshman who coaches and players really like. He has the size, 6-foot-3 and 305 pounds, that simply cannot be taught. Expect him to see time this season, whether it be at center or guard.