CMU's week one loss by the numbers

dsc-0107-40

Freshman offensive line Danny Motowski celebrates sophomore wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton's touchdown for the Chippewas at Kelly Shorts stadium on Thursday, August 29.

The first Saturday of September may spell the end of summer to some. For sports fans, however, it means college football is back.

Central Michigan is no exception, kicking off their 2021 season against Missouri on Saturday. Despite suffering a 34-24 loss, there’s more to the game than the final score.

Here’s CMU’s eason-opening loss by the numbers:

0 The number of penalties committed by Missouri in the first three quarters. The Tigers committed four penalties in the fourth quarter.

2 The number of quarterbacks ranked ahead of Jacob Sirmon in ESPN’s Top 300 list. Those quarterbacks were Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, who were both selected in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft. 

7 The number of combined third downs converted. CMU finished 6-of-18. The Tigers converted just one of their 11 third down opportunities. 

29 The number of seconds it took Missouri to score its first touchdown of the game, a 12-yard run by Tyler Badie. He finished with 237 total yards and scored two touchdowns. 

101 The Number of first-half rushing yards for Lew Nichols III. The Detroit Cass Tech alum also had a touchdown off 12 carries and finished with 135 yards on the day.

150 The number of first half yards by Missouri after its opening drive. The Tigers were out-gained 294-225 by CMU in the opening two quarters. 

243 The Number of total yards earned by Missouri in the second half. The Tigers held CMU to a mere 146 yards in the game's final 30 minutes.

385 The number of combined rushing yards. Missouri earned 211 rushing yards while CMU totaled 174.

46,327 The total attendance for Saturday’s game in Columbia, MO. It was the largest crowd CMU has played in front of since its 17-12 loss to Miami on Sept. 21, 2019.