Injury report: Freshmen Davis, Hogan likely done for year after week one injuries

Chippewa Coaches and team members on the sidelines celebrate as Chippewas win 30-27 at the CMU v. Ohio football game at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, Wednesday, Nov. 4.

Central Michigan football coach Jim McElwain announced Wednesday that freshmen wide receivers Finn Hogan and Tyson Davis suffered significant injuries in the Chippewas' season opening loss. 

McElwain said Hogan is done for the season, with Davis likely facing the same fate. Davis suffered a knee injury in the opener, in which he played four snaps according to Pro Football Focus. 

"(It) may not seem like much to a lot of people, but (Davis) is a guy that we were expecting huge things from this season as it went on," McElwain said. 

Davis was a three-star recruit in the Chippewas' 2021 class, receiving a .8078 composite rating from 247Sports. Hogan, meanwhile, was a preferred walk-on who skyrocketed up the depth chart thanks to a strong fall camp. 

"He's been everything above the line," said wide receivers coach Alvin Slaughter. "From just his talent level, his work ethic, everything he's been able to bring to the table has been a plus for us. It's a great addition for us to get this kid."

Hogan played 13 snaps and was injured late in Saturday's game, suffering a broken collarbone. His father, Max, wrote in a tweet that the freshman wideout underwent surgery Tuesday. McElwain expects him to make a full recovery. 

In Davis' absence, graduate transfer Remi Simmons will likely see more time in the slot behind starter Kalil Pimpleton. Simmons, coming to Mount Pleasant from Stephen F. Austin, played 10 snaps in the opener. 

Freshman Alec Ward will fill Hogan's absence as a backup outside receiver. Ward did not play in the opener. He was a three-star recruit in CMU's 2020 class but greyshirted last season. 

McElwain also announced that senior defensive end Troy Hairston is expected to play in the Chippewas' week two tilt with Robert Morris. The reigning Mid-American Conference co-Defensive Player of the Year was in and out of the season opener with an ankle injury. 

The Chippewas and Colonials will square off at 3 p.m. Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.