Soccer wins in double overtime

1ba434e6-a85c-47dc-968f-93c2e697bab6

The team celebrates a first-half goal against Ball State on Sunday, March 7 at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

Two exciting overtimes lead to a game-winning goal for CMU’s Jaelyn Dobrowolski in the Chippewas 1-0 victory against the IUPUI Jaguars on Thursday.

The Chippewas (2-3) got their second win in a row as the Jaguars fall to 1-4-1.

“It’s always fun to win in overtime,” said CMU head coach Jeremy Groves. “Our 33 shots created a lot of good chances, the way we attacked tonight was really good against a tough team.” 

How it happened

First half play had a barrage of shots leaving the feet of the Chippewas. Ultimately all 11 of their first half shots did not impact the score, going goalless. 

The game remained scoreless through two periods despite 14 shots put up by CMU in the second half. The Chippewas defense was strong through regulation play, allowing only six shots and four on goal all saved by CMU sophomore Allison LaPointe. In the final two minutes of regulation CMU registered three shots to secure a nail-biting finish, but came up short.

In both overtimes CMU was able to put up eight shots as CMU sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowolski booted the game winner. 

Key Stats

CMU put up a season-high 33 shots and a season-high 17 on goal and held the Jaguars to 11 shots and only four on goal.

Both teams combined for 16 fouls, eight for each squad.

IUPUI’s Woodall made 15 saves against 33 shots faced allowing one goal.

CMU sophomore Rachel Logue and CMU senior Maria Kaschalk each got one yellow card.

Key Performers

Dobrowolski racked up a career-high 11 shots, seven on goal and the game winner. 

“Before the goal we just stayed positive," Groves said. "Jaelyn had as many shots as their whole team, so I told her to keep plugging away and one’s going to come.”

CMU sophomore Laila Arab had a career high seven shots, six on goal and an assist.

Up Next

CMU’s second match of their three-game road trip will take place against Eastern Illinois at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Lakeside Field in Charleston, Ill.

Scoring Summary

2OT (103:55) CMU (1-0) Jaelyn Dobrowolski (Arab)