Soccer earns first win of the year

1ba434e6-a85c-47dc-968f-93c2e697bab6

The team celebrates a first-half goal against Ball State on Sunday, March 7 at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

One goal decided yet another CMU Women’s Soccer match, this time in favor for the Chippewas.

CMU won its first game of the season against Morehead State 1-0 Friday at the CMU Soccer Complex.

The Chippewas (1-3) finally got a tally in their win column after three extremely close games taking down the Eagles (1-3-1) in their first ever matchup.

How It Happened

Oregon State transfer and Redshirt freshman Gaelle Wells had her first goal as a Chippewa within the games opening five minutes, giving the Chippewas their first lead of the season. Senior Maria Kaschalk broke the ankles of Eagles defenders to center the ball in scoring territory and nearly made the game 2-0 CMU, but it was stopped by the keeper, setting the tone for an even remainder of the first half. 

Second half play was reminiscent of play in the first. CMU had offensive procession for the first 10 minutes of the second but were ineffective in the scoring column. The pace picked up for the games final 15 minutes, but neither offense could find the back of the net.

KEY STATS

CMU put up 12 shots and five on goal and held the Eagles to five shots and only three on goal.

CMU earned seven corner opportunities compared to MSU's one.

MSU had only seven fouls compared to CMU’s 16.

UP NEXT

The Chippewas will travel out of state for the second time this season against the UIPUI Jaguars at 6 p.m. Thursday at Carroll Stadium in Indianapolis, IN.

SCORING SUMMARY

1st (4:01) CMU (1-0) Gaelle Wells