CMU soccer takes down Western Michigan

soccer-9-26-012

Royal oak sophomore Allison Lapoint protects the ball during the Chippewas game against Ball State Sept. 26 at the CMU Soccer Complex. 

Jaelyn Dobrowolski sprinted down the left side of the field. She centered the ball to set up Amanda Britain for a perfect header to take down arch-rival Western Michigan in double-overtime. 

The Chippewas (5-5) won their second-straight conference game for a 1-0 win in Kalamazoo on Sunday. 

How it happened

A competitive first half led to an even matchup to start the day. The halftime stat sheet was similar for both both squads in nearly every category, except for corners. While CMU had good offensive sets, WMU was able to take better advantage of their opportunities with corners, the Broncos had four and the Chippewas had zero. 

In the second half the Chippewas came out pushing the ball past midfield with better pace than the Broncos. CMU’s defense stopped all of WMU’s attacks which allowed for a better goal opportunities. In the last 20 minutes of regulation the rivalry between the Chippewas and the Broncos showed its true colors. With a tied game at 0-0, both squads tacked on the fouls. CMU had seven second half fouls and WMU had five second half fouls.

The Chippewas found themselves in yet another overtime situation and the tenth time the game will be decided by one goal. CMU played the first overtime period with a focus on defense and offensive fast breaks. 

The second overtime period saw a back-and-forth struggle to score, but eventually the Chippewas prevailed as CMU senior Amanda Britain knocked her second goal of the season in the net to knock off the Broncos. 

Key Stats

CMU had 15 shots with six on goal identical to WMU’s 15 shots and six on goal.

WMU had five corner opportunities while CMU only had two corners.

There was a total of 21 fouls, 11 were committed by CMU and 10 on WMU.

Key Performers

CMU’s Britain had four shots with two on goal, and the game winning goal.

CMU sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowolski had an assist, two shots and one on goal.

CMU sophomore Allison LaPoint had six saves and her fifth shutout of the season.

Up Next

The Chippewas are headed back home as they face off against the Akron Zips at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

Scoring Summary

2OT (107:57) CMU (1-0) Amanda Britain (Dobrowolski)