Student petitions against ‘drastic’ changes to dining hall hours

campus-renovations-3
The updated food hall in East campus, formerly known as Fresh Food Company, is now called Dine & Connect.

An Oxford, Michigan senior is organizing an event to collect petition signatures at the Central Michigan University homecoming tailgate. 

On Oct. 13, psychology student Cassidy Maslowsky wrote a change.org petition titled “Open the Dining Halls or Refund Students.” Currently, her petition has over 700 signatures. Maslowsky plans to collect more signatures from 12-3 p.m. on Oct. 16 at the main walkway between the Student Activities Center and the tailgate. 

The petition responds to new campus dining changes which alter hours of operation for several residential restaurants. The university has cited labor shortages as the reason for the changes.

Maslowsky said the changes have decreased food access for “large portions” of the CMU community. Her petition asks for the dining halls to have more flexible hours and increase food quality. Maslowsky’s alternative demand to this is “substantial monetary compensation” for students.

"We are paying for food that we are not recieving," Maslowsky said. 

Maslowsky hopes to gain more signatures by standing near the football game tailgate with promotional signs. She will collect physical signatures and give out links to the online petition.