Field Hockey falls to Appalachian State

lrm-export-294495413207407-20191019-100912240

After coming out strong in the first half, Central Michigan let its fellow Mid-American Conference opponent, Appalachian State, take charge in a 3-1 CMU loss of Friday.

The Chippewas fell to 3-13 overall and 1-6 in the MAC. The Mountaineers are now 7-7 overall and 3-4 MAC.

“The intensity was definitely there today, but I don't think we were all there working together, and we had those scoring opportunities, but we just needed to capitalize on them,” said head coach Catherine Ostoich. “It was there today, but we just couldn't connect it from start to finish.” 

How It Happened

Mountaineers junior forward Rachel Felig came out strong in the first quarter, rebounding the ball from her fellow teammate Sterrre Molkenboer and firing it into the net from the corner past Chippewas goalkeeper Katie Maxim to put ASU ahead 1-0. The Chippewas clapped back by finding the back of the Mountaineers net with a goal from the junior forward BobbiMarie Parker for a 1-1 tie. 

The Chippewas started out shooting against the Mountaineers in the second quarter, but ASU found pay dirt. Molkenboer snuck the ball past Maxim after a breakaway for a 2-1 Mountaineers lead at the half. 

ASU's defense took the momentum and ran with it in the second half of the game, blocking the CMU's Kate Biglins shot in her attempt to tie the game. Although the Chippewas were not making it easy for the Mountaineers by blocking multiple scoring attempts, it wasn't enough to stop sophomore forward Leah Hurwitz from finding the net putting the Mountaineers up 3-1.

Key Performers

Parker had the only goal for the Chippewas. Biglin had three shots and junior forward Lauren Buffington had one shot. 

Flieg had one goal and two shots for the Mountaineers. Molkenboer had one goal and one assist. 

Key Stats 

The Mountaineers finished with 10 shots against the Chippewas seven shots. Appalachian State had four corners and Central had two. The Chippewas out saved the Mountaineers 4-2. 

What’s Next 

The Chippewas are back home at noon tomorrow for senior day against the Mountaineers.