Showing Galactic Spirit: The Chippewa Trooper patrols CMU

45c2e5d2-c1d1-4cc0-8534-24398cc556b4

The Chippewa Trooper points at the camera while posing for a portrait on Wed. Oct. 20 in Moore Hall. Choosing to remain anonymous, few know the identity of the CMU student who frequently don's the Star Wars inspired costume.

He protects Central Michigan University from intergalactic threats and brings joy to all those who cross paths with him.

He's been seen patrolling football games, the homecoming parade and other spirited events on campus. Although he is not an official mascot for CMU, he is recognized by students as an iconic part of campus life. 

The man behind the helmet prefers to remain anonymous, only be known as... The Chippewa Trooper.

A fan dressed as a stormtrooper poses, Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021, Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

"It keeps it a mystery for everybody," he said. "I think if I took the helmet off, it would lose the appeal."

Some have pleaded for him to reveal himself. Others have even tried to remove his helmet. Thankfully, the trooper doesn't patrol campus alone. When someone tries to reveal his identity, Zach Moore, friend and photographer for the trooper, steps in. 

The Chippewa Trooper said he is grateful for his help. Moore enjoys working with the trooper as well. 

"It's amazing that he's been able to help me out (with photography) and it's been an honor to take pictures for him," Moore said. "Seeing him on Instagram is like a privilege because it's like, 'Hey, I took those photos.'"

Inspiration for becoming the Chippewa Trooper came from his comradeship with the Wolverine Trooper at the University of Michigan. The suit was a pandemic project that took around six months to create from scratch. It's made mostly from a foam-like material over top a black jumpsuit. The armor is handpainted maroon and gold with multiple CMU decals.

"I had people that were gracious to help me do the paint and do all the decals," he said. "It was definitely a process to make the suit."

The Chippewa Trooper made his first appearance around spring last year as more people were allowed at outdoor events. He said people were hesitant to approach him at first, but after going to more events, that changed. The best feedback he's gotten is when he goes to the student section at football games. 

"It feels fantastic just to go around, really put a smile on people's faces, and get a picture with them," the Trooper said. "It's something that they can laugh about and look at for years to come."

As a fan of "Star Wars," the Chippewa Trooper said his favorites from the franchise are "Attack of the Clones" and "Star Wars: the Clone Wars." His fellow troopers and his commander, Captain Rex, are in both series. Although it was hard for him to choose, he said his favorite characters across the Star Wars franchise are Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Captain Rex. 

Another figure the Chippewa Trooper holds in high regard is President Bob Davies.

"I have to pay my ultimate respects every time I see him because he is the general of the university and master of everything that goes on at the beautiful campus of CMU," he said.

The Chippewa Trooper said he loves interacting with students and the people of Mount Pleasant. People who see him shouldn't hesitate to ask for a photo if they want one, he said. He plans to go to every CMU game he can possibly attend. 

Students can follow all the Trooper's latest adventures on his Instagram: the_chippewa_trooper.

The man behind the helmet said to look forward to the women's basketball game against the University of Michigan on Nov. 20. The Wolverine Trooper and Chippewa Tropper may meet for the first time...

Fire Up and May the Force be with you.

The Chippewa Trooper points at the camera while posing for a portrait on Wed. Oct. 20 in Moore Hall. He is often seen pointing at his fans - and their cameras - while patrolling football games, homecoming events, and other spirited events on campus.