Soccer tops Eastern Michigan in regular season finale

soccer-10-17-15
Traverse City sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowolski runs the ball during the Chippewas game against Bowling Green Oct. 17 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Amanda Britain gained possession of the ball at midfield; she passed the ball to a streaking Jaelyn Dobrowolski.

Sprinting downfield Dobrowolski got past her defender using her left foot to end the game and cement Central Michigan as the five-seed for the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

In their final game of the season CMU (9-7-1 overall, 6-4-1 MAC) went on the road to take down Eastern Michigan (2-13-3 overall, 1-8-2 MAC) in a 2-1 finish Thursday.

“I’m really happy with this group, all season long they’ve given me everything, which as a coach is all you can ask for,” said coach Jeremy Groves. “I spoke to the girls after today’s game, and I think they now have beliefs that we can win (the MAC tournament).”

CMU has earned the five seed in the 2021 MAC Tournament. The field was narrowed from the top eight to top six teams this season.

“I think we had a couple games that were really close for us, where we could’ve challenged for the title,” Groves said. “Overall, I’m really happy, making the tournament this year was very difficult."

How it Happened

The Chippewas came out of the gate firing, accumulating a season high 13 first half shots with five on goal, but the flood of CMU shots did not result in a goal. EMU's first half offense was contained to two consecutive corner opportunities with shots.

“In midfield we defended really well and won the ball high up,” Groves said. “Early on we had two good opportunities to go up 1-0 and the goalkeeper made a couple of good saves and it was kind of like that all throughout the game.”

Three minutes into the second half EMU sophomore Amanda Cripps was able to handle a pass and score a low kick past CMU sophomore goalkeeper Allison LaPointe to put the Eagles up one goal. Nearly immediately after the score CMU came marching down field when senior midfielder Chesney Wargo knocked in her first goal of the season off a deflection at point-blank range to tie the game at one.

In the ladder part of the second half CMU continued to accumulate shots and goal opportunities, but the Eagles were not far behind. EMU had three shots in a matter of two minutes that were all blocked by CMU defense and LaPointe.

For the third time in-a-row, the Chippewas needed overtime.

CMU sophomore Laila Arab had a quick opportunity at the start but her shot bounced off the left post. But fortunately for the Chippewas Dobrowolski sniped one past the keeper to win the game.

Key Stats  

CMU had 26 total shots with nine on goal while EMU only put up 13 shots and three on goal.

CMU controlled corner kicks with seven while EMU only had four corner opportunities.

There were 13 total fouls, CMU committed five and EMU was called on eight.

There were zero offsides called on either squad.

Key Performers

Dobrowolski had a offensive dominant performance with seven shots, four on goal and the overtime game-winning goal.

EMU’s Cripps finished with the game-opening goal on four shots with two being on goal.

Wargo tied the game with her only shot of the game at a critical point, stopping any momentum EMU had felt.

Up Next

MAC tournament play commences when CMU travels out to face Buffalo for their quarter-final match at 1 p.m. Sunday at UB Stadium.

Scoring Summary

2ND (48:06) EMU (0-1) Amanda Cripps (O’Farrell)

2ND (49:58) CMU (1-1) Chesney Wargo

OT (96:35) CMU (2-1) Jaelyn Dobrowolski