Soccer drops second consecutive game

soccer-9-26-005
Aurora senior Chesney Wargo watches the ball after she headed it during the Chippewas game against Ball State Sept. 26 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

In a crowded stadium at the end of homecoming weekend, Central Michigan fans were eager to see another Chippewa win.

One foul in overtime ultimately ended the hopes of the Chippewa faithful when Bowling Green scored on the ensuing penalty kick for a 1-0 CMU loss.

The Chippewas are now 7-7 overall and 4-4 in Mid-American Conference play. BGSU improves to Falcons 7-5-3 overall and 6-1-1 MAC .

How it Happened

The Chippewas held the Falcons offense at bay in the opening 45 minutes. The CMU found its footing early and nearly capitalizing off a mishandle from Falcons goaltender Lili Berg, but CMU sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowoski's shot was just high of the net. The Chippewas had six shots and two on net in the first half. 

The second half momentum shifted like a metronome in the second half. The Chippewas were unable to press their offense at full boar. BGSU earned six shots on breaks to the goal, but none were on net.

The Chippewas found their footing in overtime, but a foul by sophomore Rachel Logue gave BGSU a penalty kick. Falcons forward Madi Wolfbauer snuck a groundball past Allison LaPointe on the right side for CMU's second-straight conference loss.

Key Stats

CMU had 13 shots and five on goal while BGSU had 12 shots with three on goal.

CMU attempted six corners while BGSU only had one corner opportunities.

CMU was called on nine fouls, BGSU was only called on six

Key Performers

Wolfbauer had the game winning goal along with two shots and one on goal. Berg had four saves.

CMU senior Samantha Kaye-Toral, sophomore Laila Arab and Dobrowolski all had three shots and one on goal each.

Up Next

CMU travels to plat Kent State at 7 p.m. Thursday at Dix Stadium.

Scoring Summary

1OT (96:29) Bowling Green (0-1) Madi Wolfbauer