On-campus markets start to selling personal care products for students of color

Cantu and Shea Moisture beauty products are seen on campus Nov. 10, 2021, at the POD Market inside of Towers Residence Hall.

The Multicultural Academic Student Services office has worked with Chartwells retail buyers to supply the East Campus and Towers markets with personal care products for students of color.

“We started with just a few products to test the interest,” said Wade Tomson, Assistant Director of MASS. “Right now, there are shampoos and conditioners from the brand’s Shea Moisture and Cantu.” 

Tomson also said that these few items are just the start. 

These efforts started due to the lack of readily available personal care products for students of color living on campus. Tomson said the convenience of using Flex Dollars and accessibility of the markets will allow all students to get the products they need.  

The process began with a brief survey among a small group of African American students to gauge thoughts on currently available products and how enhancing the selection would benefit their college experience. The feedback received was overwhelming, with the amount of suggestions students gave surpassing expectations, Tomson said. 

“If students need something more from us and we’re not doing it,” Tomson said, “We would love an email so that we can continue championing for their needs.”

The brands were chosen by student feedback and what line of products Chartwells could order. Tomson said many of the students involved in the survey reached out to him to express their happiness with the products on display.

“This was a positive move in (students) eyes in feeling like the university was concerned about meeting their needs,” said Tomson. “We’re trying to let them know that we’re thinking about their individual needs, and it matters a lot. That right there makes it worth it.”  

Tomson said that Chartwells was very interested in working toward ensuring the student’s needs were met. He also said they were quick and very effective with delivering the products MASS requested.    

The markets would continue to add more of these items as more student insight comes in. Students are encouraged to email mass@cmich.edu with any suggestions they may have.