CMU DL Tico Brown enters transfer portal

football-10-23-10
The CMU and NIU lines face off before a snap on Sat. Oct. 23, Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

For the third straight day, Central Michigan football has seen one of its own enter the transfer portal. 

Sophomore defensive lineman Tico Brown announced his decision in a tweet Wednesday. Defensive end Amir Siddiq announced his decision to transfer Monday and quarterback Jacob Sirmon entered the portal Tuesday. 

"After careful consideration, I've decided to enter the transfer portal with two years of eligibility left," Brown tweeted. "With that being said, I would like to thank Coach Jim McElwain, my teammates and the rest of the staff at CMU for all the experiences and opportunities. With that being said I am officially open for recruitment." 

Brown played eight games for CMU in 2021, starting seven. According to Pro Football Focus, he played 327 snaps but didn't appear in a game after the Chippewas' Week 8 loss to Northern Illinois. On the season, He recorded 18 total tackles and two sacks.

With Brown not playing, more reps went to sophomore Tyrece Woods Jr. and junior John Wesley Whiteside. Woods started each of the Chippewas' final four games alongside redshirt freshman Jacques Bristol, with Whiteside coming in off the bench. 

In 2020, Brown started all six games and made 14 tackles. As a redshirt freshman in 2019, Brown played in all 14 games and made 13 tackles. 

Brown, a native of Kokomo, Indiana, committed to CMU as part of its 2018 recruiting class, the final class signed by former coach John Bonamego. He was an unrated prospect.