CMU Football loses key recruiting piece to Wolverines

Central Michigan director of player personnel Albert Karschnia sits on the team bench at UB Stadium before an Oct. 26 game against Buffalo in New York.

After a successful early signing period, Central Michigan Football recruiting took a hit on Tuesday, when news broke that Albert Karschnia was leaving his role as Director of Player Personnel to become the director of recruiting at the University of Michigan.

Karschnia graduated from Michigan in 2015 with a bachelor’s degree in sports management. Upon turning the tassel, he worked as an intern for the Wolverines Football team for two years before beginning his role with CMU Football in 2017.

During Karschnia’s time with head coach Jim McElwain, the Chippewas found success in recruiting, including finishing with the second-best class in the Mid-American Conference in back-to-back years, according to 247 Sports.

Despite a successful tenure in Mount Pleasant, when the Wolverines lost their Director of Player Personnel, Courtney Morgan, to the University of Washington, Karschnia’s name began to circulate as Harbaugh’s ideal replacement. 

Karschnia’s connection to Michigan as a graduate of Orchard Lake St Mary’s Preparatory played a role in Harbaugh’s interest. But, the two were connected by a viral moment in 2016, after Harbaugh posted a thank you letter from Karschnia to Twitter

While there hasn’t been an official announcement from CMU or the Wolverines, Karschnia is expected to begin his role with Michigan following the Chippewas’ appearance in the 2021 Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl on Dec. 31.