Pi Sigma Epsilon Fundraises for Oxford Families, National Educational Foundation Scholarship

pse-photo

Livonia senior Ben Griffith and Fenton senior Sarah Barnett sell stickers to students passing by in the UC. 

This week, Pi Sigma Epsilon, a co-ed business fraternity, is selling Central Michigan University stickers to raise money for families affected by the Oxford High School shooting. 

Livonia senior Ben Griffith said PSE started planning the fundraiser for the National Educational Foundation Scholarship in the months prior to the Oxford tragedy. 

“We’ve been wanting to do a scholarship fundraiser, but after last week, we really want to make sure we are making an impact beyond Central Michigan's campus,” Griffith said. “This seemed really fitting at the time.” 

PSE decided to give half of the proceeds to Oxford bank, who will redistribute funds directly to families impacted by the shooting. 

Griffith said he remembers the fear he felt around school shootings when he was a high school student. 

“I remember that when the Parkland shooting happened in 2018 during my senior year, it was absolutely terrifying, and that was halfway across the country,” Griffith said. “Having it happen so close to home really scared me for the future of this country, and now PSE is working to hopefully make it better for those who were affected.”

Romeo senior Marlee Biernaczonek said she was scared when she heard about what happened at Oxford.

“I actually have some friends that go there, so I was very worried that they were affected, and frankly just worried about what would happen next,” Biernaczonek said. 

Biernaczonek does what she can to support her friends as they cope with the tragedy that struck their hometown. She encourages students to purchase stickers for the cause. 

“Most importantly for those Oxford people,” Biernaczonek said. “Since it hits so close to home, we should do anything to support them.”

In the two days they have sold stickers in the Bovee University Center, PSE raised over $500. Griffith said they hope to make it to $1,000 by selling out at their final fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10 at the Mount Pleasant Shake Shop during their customer appreciation day celebration. Stickers are one for $3, three for $7 or five for $10.

Those who wish to donate directly to Oxford families can on GoFundMe.