Chippewa top linebacker Troy Brown enters transfer portal

lrm-export-11612031884421-20191013-144720111

Central Michigan linebacker Troy Brown addresses the media after beating New Mexico State Oct. 12 in a conference room at the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Central Michigan football has lost yet another top piece to the transfer portal following the conclusion of the 2021 season. 

After starting safety Devonni Reed entered the portal on Monday, top linebacker Troy Brown announced his decision to transfer Thursday in a tweet. 

Brown leaves a solid legacy in Mount Pleasant as a three-time first team All-Mid-American Conference selection. The Flint native established himself as an every down linebacker after beginning his career as a safety. 

He was a first team All-MAC selection in 2021 despite missing two games in the middle of the season with an injury. His first game back, against Western Michigan, saw him make nine tackles, a sack and an interception that sealed the 42-30 win. 

Brown's best statistical year came in 2019, his first season as a linebacker. His physical frame translated well to playing the position while his athletic ability helped in pass coverage, allowing him to thrive. In 2019, Brown finished with 91 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and three interceptions. 

With Brown missing three games in 2021, the Chippewas got a long look at the future of the linebacker position. Justin Whiteside and Kyle Moretti, both sophomores-to-be, received rave reviews for their performances. Additionally, George Douglas is set to be a senior and has been a mainstay at the position alongside Brown. 

Brown's career at CMU finishes with 203 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, five interceptions and three forced fumbles. He has one season of eligibility remaining. 

Editor's note: Brown announced his decision to transfer to Mississippi Jan. 12