Kalil Pimpleton declares for NFL Draft

homecoming-football
Muskegon junior Kalil Pimpleton smiles, teary-eyed, after scoring a touchdown during the homecoming game on Sat. Oct. 16 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan University will have to replace one of its most electric players in recent memory heading into the 2022 season. 

Redshirt junior wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton is entering the NFL Draft, forgoing his final year of collegiate eligibility to pursue a professional career. The Muskegon native announced his decision in a tweet Sunday. 

Pimpleton was a two-time first-team All-Mid-American Conference selection during his three years with the Chippewas. He was first-team as a wideout in both 2019 and 2021, while he earned first-team honors as a punt returner this season. He was named the MAC Special Teams Player of the Year in 2021. 

His name is all over the Chippewas' record book, as he sits in eighth place all-time in career receptions. His 2019 season, in which he caught 82 passes, ranks sixth all-time. He has twice finished a season leading CMU in receptions. 

"He's the heart and soul of this football team," said coach Jim McElwain following the team's 30-27 win over Ohio on Oct. 9. "I tell you what, I just love him."

He finishes his time as a Chippewa with 166 receptions for 2,100 yards and 12 touchdowns. Pimpleton also carried the ball 38 times for 293 yards and five scores, while also completing 7-of-12 passes for 181 yards and a touchdown. 

The Muskegon native also had a prolific career as a returner. He returned two punts for scores in the first half of CMU's Nov. 3 matchup with Western Michigan, including a program-record 97-yard runback late in the second quarter to give the Chippewas a lead they would never relinquish. 

In all, his time as a Chippewa ends with 2,574 total yards of offense. Additionally, he totaled 532 yards as a return man.

Several members of the CMU community took to Twitter to express their appreciation for Pimpleton and his impact on the university. 

Pimpleton leaves the program alongside high school teammate JaCorey Sullivan, who finished his career with 1,741 yards and 15 touchdowns. With the duo gone, junior Dallas Dixon is set to return as CMU's top target. Dixon finished with 45 catches for 701 yards and eight touchdowns in 2021. 

Pimpleton began his career at Virginia Tech, where he spent one season before transferring to CMU in 2018. After sitting out the 2018 season, he began his historic career with the Chippewas as part of the MAC West winning squad in 2019. 

The next step for the speedster will be the Collegiate Bowl in Pasadena, California on Jan. 29. 

CMU finished its season 9-4 with five straight victories, including a 24-21 win over Washington State in the Sun Bowl.