Longtime CMU OL coach Mike Cummings to take same role at Cincinnati

homecoming-football-16
Offensive line coach, Mike Cummings, talks to the team during the homecoming game on Sat. Oct. 16 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football offensive line coach Mike Cummings is leaving the program to take the same position at Cincinnati. The news was confirmed to Central Michigan Life on Monday. 

Cummings has spent a total of 16 years coaching football for the Chippewas, doing so in five separate stints. His latest lasted three years, starting in 2019 upon the arrival of head coach Jim McElwain. 

In his time in Mount Pleasant, Cummings has mentored many CMU standouts. The prized jewel of that group is Eric Fisher, the first overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft. Two more draft picks appear to be on the horizon in tackles Bernhard Raimann and Luke Goedeke, who will play in the Senior Bowl following successful Chippewa careers. 

Cummings first came to CMU in 1988 as a graduate assistant. He earned his masters in athletic administration during his time here, staying until he took the offensive line coach job at Millersville University of Pennsylvania in 1989. 

He returned to Mount Pleasant in 1992, spending the next six seasons coaching Chippewa linemen. He left in 1997 to coach Michigan State's special teams and tight ends. After a one-year return to CMU in 1999, he spent the following years at Eastern Michigan (2000-01), Western Michigan (2002-04) and Marshall (2005-09). 

Following his time with the Thundering Herd, Cummings came back to CMU and doubled as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach under Dan Enos. During that time, he molded Fisher into an eventual top pick. He was with the Chippewas from 2010-13, leaving to become Connecticut's offensive coordinator. 

He held the position with the Huskies for three seasons before becoming the offensive line coach at the Virginia Military Institute in 2017. After two seasons, McElwain and the Chippewas once again came calling. 

In his new move, Cummings will be replacing Ron Crook, the Bearcats' current offensive line coach. According to a report from ESPN's Pete Thamel, Cincinnati is looking for a new role for Crook to fill. 

Cummings is the second Chippewa coach to leave the program in the offseason, as linebackers coach Tim Skipper elected to take a job with Fresno State.