Award-winning photojournalist to conclude Clarke Historical Library speaker series tomorrow

Steve Jessmore marks last of four speakers in annual Clarke Historical Library series

steve-jessmore

Courtesy photo

The Clarke Historical Library’s annual spring speaker series will conclude on April 5 with “A Photographer’s Journey with Steve Jessmore."

The event, starting at 7 p.m., is free and open to the public via WebEx or by telephone. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions.

The Central Michigan University alumnus and former photojournalism major will speak about his photographic transformation over the past year from shooting humans to animals.

“He’s been a photojournalist his whole career… because of the fact of the isolation… he turned to nature photography and started photographing birds,” said Carrie Marsh, Clarke Historical Library director.

As a result of his dedication, he received a prestigious award: 2021 North American Audubon contest winner in the Professional category.

“We wanted to bring him back to talk about this kind of new phase in his photographic career,” Marsh said.

The spring speaker series invited four professionals from around Michigan to share their expertise, some of which connected to the Abundant Waters exhibit.

The Clarke Historical Library is currently working with Jessmore to display an exhibition of his work in the Baber room this summer.

“The library’s exhibition coordinators are working with him to finalize the title and once we have it, we’re going to advertise it all over the place,” Marsh said.

The exhibit will be open late May through July. The Clarke Historical Library is also planning its annual fall speaker series.

Register for the event with this form.