CMU track and field wins three events at Michigan State Open

tricia-pierce3
CMU redshirt sophomore Tricia Pierce.

CMU won three events and had 21 top-10 finishes during the weekend at the Michigan State Open. Several athletes also recorded personal records. 

Junior Tricia Pierce got the Chippewas started by winning the women’s pole vault, vaulting 3.72 meters and nearly beating her personal best of 3.75. Sophomore Shelby Korytkowski also made a top-five finish with a mark of 3.42 meters.

Sophomore Hayler Manners continued to dominate for CMU by winning the women’s triple jump, jumping 11.58 meters.

Sophomore Maddy Boyd then won the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase, with a personal best time of 11:23.15. 

Sophomore Mohogany Wells had two top-10 finishes during the weekend. Wells came in third in the women’s hammer throw, throwing a personal best 53.99 meters. She also came in sixth in the women’s shot put, throwing 13.82 meters.

Sophomore Emma Francis and Freshman Nyah Tyron had top three finishes in the women’s 400-meter hurdles. Francis came in second with a time of 1:04.66. Tyron finished third with a personal best time of 1:05.50. This was Tyron’s first event in her college career. 

Sophomore Peyton Korytkowski finished in 2nd in the women’s 100-meter hurdles with a personal best time of 14.53 seconds.

CMU with Taylor Korytkowski, Peyton Korytkowski, Hayley Manners and Reghan Draper finished second in the women’s 4x100 meter relay.

CMU will look to stay hot as it travels to Oxford, Mississippi, competing in the Joe Walker Invitational April 8-9 hosted by the University of Mississippi.