Kalil Pimpleton signs with Detroit Lions as undrafted free agent

wmuvcmu1008

Muskegon junior wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton celebrates his second punt return touchdown of the second quarter against Western Michigan on Wednesday, Nov. 3 at Waldo Stadium. 

Slated outside of Mel Kiper Jr's Top-60 wide receivers, former Central Michigan stand-out Kalil Pimpleton didn't hear his name called in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

However, as soon as the festivities ended on Saturday, Pimpleton was picked up by the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent. 

A source confirmed to Central Michigan Life that Pimpleton would be joining the Lions Saturday following the conclusion of the Draft. 

Hailing from Muskegon, Pimpleton was named 2015 and 2016 Muskegon Chronicle Offensive Player of the Year at Muskegon High School. 

Following a state championship appearance in his final season with the Big Reds, Pimpleton enrolled at Virginia Tech ahead of the 2017 season. After seeing time in five games and accumulating one rush for four yards, he transferred to CMU. 

Although he had to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer requirements, Pimpleton immediately made an impact in 2019. Leading the Mid-American Conference in receptions and receiving yards, he earned First Team All-MAC honors as a wide receiver and punt returner. 

After COVID-19 shortened the 2020 season, Pimpleton earned a spot on Phil Steele’s All-MAC team as a wide receiver and punt returner. 

But it was the 2021 season where Pimpleton exploded onto the scene. 

Highlighted by back-to-back punt return touchdowns that sparked a comeback victory against Western Michigan, Pimpleton finished the season with 960 receiving yards and four touchdowns on 62 receptions. He also recorded 305 yards on punt returns en route to the 2021 MAC Special Teams Player of the Year.