CMU softball splits doubleheader against Kent State

softball-3-25-5
Pitcher Grace Lehto throws a pitch on Friday, March 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

For the first time since 2017, Central Michigan (14-14, 5-2) softball took down the Kent State Golden Flashes (10-18, 2-8) in the first game of a doubleheader Tuesday, but fell in the second to split the doubleheader.

Game One

Three homeruns, a double play, and dominant pitching all led to a CMU victory in the first game Tuesday. All this added up to a 4-0 win for CMU.

Grace Lehto took the mound for the Chippewas and earned her seventh win of the season. She pitched all seven innings and recorded eight strikeouts. She struck out the side in the fifth to highlight her outing. 

The Chippewas opened the scoring early with an RBI single from Maddie Springer to score Caitlyn Britton and make the score 1-0. The Chippewas were quiet until the fourth inning when Skylar Coberley homered to center field to give the Chippewas a 2-0 lead over the Golden Flashes.

Fired up from Coberley's homer, Emily Bracamonte sent a homer of her own to left field to make the score 3-0. That homer was later followed by a solo shot to left center in the sixth by Shannon Stein and giving the Chippewas a 4-0 lead. 

Kent State's Jessica Lebeau took the loss despite notching 12 strikeouts. 

Game Two 

A clutch home run by Madyson Cole in the bottom of the sixth inning was the difference in game two, as Kent State salvaged a split with a 2-1 victory.

CMU rallied to tie the game at one apiece in the top of the second, with Caitlyn Britton scoring on a wild pitch. Kent State had taken the lead just one half inning prior when Emily Lippe drove in Brooklyn Whitt. 

Shannon Stein continued to be a menace at the plate for opposing teams as she ripped one to left center field in the top of the third inning that nearly rolled to the fence causing a collision between two Golden Flashes. The Golden Flashes hushed the Chippewas bats as they took down the next three batters leaving Stein in scoring position at second base. 

The Golden Flashes slowly turned on the bats in a two out rally off a single to center field by Madison Hershberger. A double to left field by Savannah Wing brought Hershberger to third but the throw from the Chippewas left fielder caught her for the out to hold their chances of scoring. 

CMU failed to capitalize with two runners in scoring position on a two out rally as they left them stranded in the top of the sixth inning. 

Cole stepped up to the plate for the Golden Flashes and let the first pitch sore over the left field fence to give the Golden Flashes the lead. The Chippewas had one last opportunity on the bats but lacked contact with the ball ultimately falling 2-1. 

Caitlyn Britton pitched a complete game in the circle for the Chippewas, allowing six hits while striking out six. 

Up next

CMU finishes its three-game series with Kent State Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for Noon.