PRSSA recognized for "Fire Up Red" campaign in national competition

fire-up-red

Yesterday, the Central Michigan University chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America was notified it had received an honorable mention in a national competition for its "Fire Up Red" campaign that brings awareness to lymphoma.

The honorable mention marks the first time in over 10 years CMU has been recognized by the national competition. 

“I am so proud of all our group has accomplished,” CMU PRSSA President Molly Anderson said in a statement. “We have worked tirelessly since November to design and implement a campaign we believe has true value and importance. Being awarded honorable mention is a huge accomplishment, and we are so grateful our hard work has been recognized.”

The 2022 Public Relations Student Society of America Bateman Case Study Competition received 51 entries nationwide before naming three finalists and 11 honorable mentions. 

CMU students Molly Anderson, Natalie Batten, Rachel Bednarz, Leona Falconer, Jessie Johnson and Madi Lillie worked through the end of 2021 and into 2022 to implement their campaign in February.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: Falconer is also a staff member at Central Michigan Life.)

The group held community events, fundraisers and developed a podcast series, called Lymphoma Talks where they interviewed individuals affected by the disease. In the series, three people were interviewed about the impact lymphoma has had on their lives.

The "Fire Up Red" website states that nearly one in five cancer diagnoses among young people are lymphoma.

The competition for next year has not been announced, but CMU plans to have a team working on the project again next fall. 

“This only motivates us and makes us even more excited for next year’s competition! Fire Up Red!” Anderson said.

For more information about CMU PRSSA and the "Fire Up Red" campaign visit the organization's website.