CMU's Wuestenfeld, Navarra awarded MAC honors

672c9b48-fdb6-46bd-87e0-cd0f7fe13e71
Plainfield, Ill. sophomore Danny Wuestenfeld looks on as an NIU player lies injured at first base, Sunday, April 10, at Theunissen Stadium.

After dominating Northern Illinois in a weekend sweep, two Central Michigan baseball players were awarded conference honors.

Plainfield, Illinois sophomore Danny Wuestenfeld was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week and Sterling Heights junior Garret Navarra was awarded MAC Pitcher of the Week.

This is the second time Wuestenfeld earned player of the week this season, while it's the first time Navarra has been awarded pitcher of the week in his CMU career.

Wuestenfeld finished the weekend with six hits in 10 at-bats, notching 10 RBI’s, two doubles and a home run in Saturday's win. He extended his hit streak to three games and he’s had at least one RBI in his last seven appearances.

A dual-threat, two-way player, Navarra's arm was fully on display. He pitched a scoreless complete game on Sunday. In seven innings he threw 105 pitches, notched eight punchouts, allowed only two hits and one walk with zero runs.

Moving into their matchup against Oakland University, Wuestenfeld ranks fourth in the MAC in RBI’s with 29 and Navarra is tied at second in the MAC with four wins.

CMU (18-10, 13-1) returns to action Tuesday at Oakland.