CMU softball falls to Miami (Ohio) on senior day

sball_4_29-08
CMU softball stands at home plate after Albuquerque senior Shannon Stein hits a homerun during the game against the University of Buffalo on Friday, April 29 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Central Michigan couldn't capitalize on Senior Day momentum, falling 12-8 to Miami (Ohio) Sunday. Though the Chippewas lost the game, they still won the series thanks to Saturday's doubleheader sweep. 

Although the Chippewas didn't cross the plate in the first inning, the single season doubles record was broken by senior Shannon Stein. She passed the all-time record of doubles in a single season with 19, passing the previous record held by Becky Manson’s 2002 record of 18.

The Redhawks got on the board first in the top of the second inning thanks to Adriana Barlow's two-run homer. 

The Chippewas answered right back, taking the lead. Abbey Tolmie started the show with a two-run single, and RBI singles through the right side from Stein and Michaleigh Vallimont made it 4-2.

Looking to come back, Allie Cummins sent one over the right center fence for a two-run homer tying the game. The Redhawks came back in the top of the fourth inning to take back the lead 6-4 after two RBI's

The Chippewas were able to grab a run to snap the Redhawks lead in half after a SAC bunt down the left base line from Emily Bracamonte to score Tailynn Knapp who pinch ran for Vallimont after her leadoff double. 

The top of the fifth inning the Redhawks doubled CMU’s score after bases were loaded and Cummins singled through the left side bringing in runs. Lily Wilmont stepped up to the plate, reaching first after the ball bounced off Stein's foot, scoring another run. The three runs forced a CMU pitching change. The pitching change did not affect the Redhawks as another run was brought in off a single to center field making the score 10-5.

With a runner on base for the Chippewas, Stein stepped up to the plate and sent a ball sailing over the left field fence for a two-run homer. Stein is now the program record holder for single season home runs at 17, passing Molly Coldren’s 2012 program record of 16. 

The Redhawks set themselves up with a base runner in scoring position after a double to left field as Karli Spaid sent a ball over the left field fence for their third two-run homer of the day.

With one last opportunity at bat, the Chippewas only scored one more run and ultimately fell 12-8.

Caitlyn Britton got her first start of the year in the circle for the Chippewas, pitching three innings on four hits, four runs. Grace Lehto and Faith Howe came in for relief for a combined total of six runs on seven hits.

What’s Next

The Chippewas will head to Oxford, Ohio for the MAC tournament as they are ranked the No. 3 seed where they will face No. 2 seed the Ohio Bobcats in the first round on Thursday, May 12 at 1 p.m.