Central Michigan softball knocked out of MAC tournament

sball_4_10
General: The CMU Softball team split a double-header against NIU on Sunday, April 10 at Margo Jonker Stadium. The Chippewas won the second game in a mercy rule with a final score of 12-4. Photo: Harrison Township junior Samantha Mills celebrates with teammates after the double-header against NIU on Sunday, April 10 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

A successful season came to an unfortunate end for Central Michigan softball. 

The Chippewas (27-26, 18-11) lost twice Friday in the Mid-American Conference tournament in a pair of extra-inning, one-run heartbreakers. 

Game One

The first of two defensive battles Saturday ended with a late game-winner from Miami (Ohio)'s Holly Blaska.

Blaska had two RBI on the day, with the latter coming on an eighth-inning single to break a 1-1 tie. She tied the game at 1 with a single in the sixth. 

Shannon Stein opened the scoring with an RBI double in the fifth, scoring Maddie Springer. Grace Lehto held it down on the mound, tossing a complete game and holding the RedHawks scoreless through five. 

Lehto finished with two strikeouts, scattering just five hits. Three of those hits came from the sixth inning on and proved to be the difference. 

Game Two 

Struggling to get their bats rolling, both the Chippewas and Bowling Green State Flacons were scoreless through six innings. The Chippewas only managed to get four hits in seven innings, but were unable to get a baserunner across the board. The Falcons recorded four hits in seven innings. 

A solo shot to left center field in the seventh from the Falcons Reagan Williamson would give the Falcons the one run they needed to get on the board and advance to the MAC finals with a score of 1-0. 

Kaitlyn Bean took the mound for the Chippewas and tossed all seven innings. She only gave up the one run late in the game on four hits. She struck out six batters and walked one. Bean ends the season with a 9-15 record.