Max Majerle, son of Chippewa legend Dan Majerle, commits to CMU basketball

mbball-3-10-3
Coach Tony Barbee talks to his team during a timeout, Thursday March 10, at Rocket Mortgage Arena, Cleveland, Ohio.

Max Majerle has joined the Central Michigan men's basketball 2022 recruiting class. 

The name should be familiar with Chippewa basketball fans, as Max is the son of CMU basketball all-time great Dan Majerle. Max announced his decision to join head coach Tony Barbee's recruiting class on Twitter. 

Max spent his final prep season at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire after four years at Arcadia High School in Scottsdale, Arizona. The 6-foot-4 guard also held offers from Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon, Portland State and South Dakota among others. 

Max joins a hefty recruiting class compiled by Barbee. The group includes junior college transfers Markus Harding and Carrington McCaskill, Coppin State transfer Jesse Zarzuela and freshmen Emil Skytta, Reggie Bass, Ola Ajiboye and Josiah Sanders.

Zarzuela, Skytta and Bass are guards, while Ajiboye and Sanders are forwards. The Scottsdale native will wear No. 55 for the Chippewas. 

The shoes of his father will be tough to fill, as Dan had a standout career for the Chippewas. Playing from 1984-88, Dan scored a total of 2,045 points before going on to be drafted by the Phoenix Suns 14th overall in the 1988 NBA Draft. 

Dan went on to have a 15-year NBA career, playing with the Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers and Miami Heat. Following his retirement, he entered the coaching ranks and was most recently the head coach at Grand Canyon University. 

CMU was 7-23 in Barbee's first year as head coach and saw its season end in the Mid-American Conference tournament quarterfinals with a 72-71 loss to Toledo.