Micaela Kelly returns to CMU women's basketball program

gamer-feb-15
Central Michigan guard Micaela Kelly high-fives forward Kyra Bussell after scoring against Bowling Green Feb. 15 at McGuirk Arena.

Micaela Kelly, a former Chippewa, has made her way back to the Central Michigan court.  

Kelly joins the Central Michigan women’s basketball coaching staff as the program's director of player development. 

She made her stamp on the CMU women’s basketball program from 2017-21 when she was named to the 2021 All-Mid-American Conference First Team and MAC All-Defensive Team for the second time. 

Kelly currently is second all-time in scoring at CMU behind her former teammate Presley Hudson who is also a part of the coaching staff under head coach Heather Oesterle. 

"We are very excited to welcome Twin back to be a part of our staff," Oesterle said. "Her smile and energy are contagious for everyone involved in our program.  She knows what it takes to win at Central Michigan and our point guards are going to have the opportunity to learn from two of the greatest to ever wear the maroon and gold with her and Presley." 

The former guard posted a team-high of 29 points vs. Bowling Green in the MAC Championship game to help the Chippewas claim the regular MAC season title and punch their ticket to NCAA Tournament in 2021. Kelly was voted the 2021 MAC Tournament MVP. 

Kelly was drafted by the Connecticut Sun in the second round, No. 21 overall in the 2021 WNBA Draft.