CMU soccer shut out by Bowling Green State

For the second game in a row, CMU soccer was shut out. The Chippewas took on the Bowling Green Falcons falling 2-0.

d-cmusoccer-photo-09-29-22-5
Junior forward Elizabeth Chlystun dribbles down the field during the game against Bowling Green State on Thursday, Sept. 29 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

On a crisp fall Thursday night in Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan soccer was shut out by the Bowling Green State Falcons 2-0. 

The Falcons were on a mission to secure a win after tying their last two matchups with Toledo and Western Michigan. 

As the sun set into the distance, the Falcons (3-3-2) took charge eight minutes into the game grabbing a 1-0 lead over the Chippewas (1-7-2). After CMU swatted away a BGSU corner kick, senior forward Kennedy White beat goalkeeper Emma Shingler and found the back of the net. 

“The first part we were making little silly individual errors,” said head coach Jeremy Groves. "You know, not finding the right paths or when we were clear on the ball, we were not missing out a level and hitting our highest players."

In the 30th minute, White sailed the ball over Shingler's head and into the net after Shingler saved a shot down the middle. Junior midfielder Maya Dean set the play up for  the Falcons passing it to White as the Falcons pulled ahead 2-0. 

“I think (the players) made a really good adjustment at halftime and full credit to them,” Groves said. "I think they maybe had a couple of chances in the second half but so did we, you know we could have easily got ourselves back into the game.

“I thought the second half from us was really positive, we kept a clean sheet which was good. And we created some chances going the other way. We were extremely physical tonight and we competed hard.”

CMU came out of the half with aggression looking to rally, but BGSU's experience helped it shut down the Chippewas comback effort. 

“So, they're (Bowling Green) experienced, they got some decent plays,'' Groves said. “You know, it’s just one of those nights where we didn't get on the end of it. I thought in the first half, we had a great opportunity, in which the goalkeeper made a brilliant save. We had a couple of other half chances as well where the ball flashed in front of the goal and then one that was called back for offsides as well.” 

CMU is back in action with a short turnaround as they head to Northern Illinois on Sunday at 2 p.m.