CMU DIII hockey sweeps Lake Superior State

7d90d7b1-f820-4389-b73d-94cf9e407688
CMU Hockey lost 1-0 in a tight match against SVSU, Friday, Oct. 29.

After winning its first home game, the Central Michigan Division III club hockey team looked to dominate again in its final matchup against Lake Superior State. 

Having control for most of the game, the Chippewas won 5-0, sweeping the Lakers in their two-game matchup. 

“It was a win, but it wasn’t a good one,” said head coach Tyler Cataline. “After a game like last night, you expect the same thing, and we put up 59 shots today, and their goalie played outstanding, stopping 54 shots. We peppered him, but I was expecting a little more goals, but I am happy we got the W and are going into the week 3-0.”

The Chippewas improve to 3-0 on the season. 

Freshman Elijah Jones got his shot at the starting goalie job with his first career collegiate start. At the end of the day, Jones stopped all shots he faced as he secured the shutout.

“(Jones) is fighting for that number one goaltending spot," Cataline said. "He showed me in the shots he faced that he is up for the task. Very proud that he got his first career shutout in his first career game.”

Despite a solid offensive presence in the first period, the Chippewas struggled to capitalize on their shots. But late in the first, senior forward Keelan Baker tallied his third goal of the season to put the Chippewas on the board 1-0. 

Coming out of the locker room, the Lakers found their footing and challenged CMU. But the Chippewas' struggles to score ended when junior forward Andrew Porzendek came flying down the right side. Prozendek's shot hit the crossbar and fell just behind the line giving the Chippewas a 2-0 lead. 

Sophomore forwards Isaac Gibbs and Nathan Bottles each recorded a goal, while senior forward Charlie Hayes added one of his own.

“The guys feed off of what (Isaac) Gibbs and (Nathan) Bottles are doing,” Cataline said. “(Hayes) is the captain of our team and a leader, but seeing a defenseman get points is huge. Charlie is going to have a breakout year this year.”  

The Chippewas return to Martin Ice Arena on Friday, Oct. 7. with puck drop at 6 p.m.