CMU draws with Kent State

d-ohiosoccer-photo-10-13-2022-3

Sophomore midfielder Ashley Scesniak kicks the ball during CMU's game against Ohio Thursday, Oct. 13 in the Multipurpose Complex. 

Following halftime, Central Michigan soccer looked to keep its momentum going with a 2-0 lead over Kent State. 

However, the Golden Flashes (4-6-7, 4-1-5) came out in the second half blazing and forced a 2-2 draw with the Chippewas (2-10-4, 1-5-3) during their Mid-American Conference match on Sunday afternoon. 

“I think for us, it shows how much we’ve grown,” Groves said. “Being 2-nil up, I don't think you ever want to tie a game from that position, but we’re playing against one of the better teams in our league. They’re a good team and we knew in the second half they were going to come after us.”

CMU set the tone in the first period as sophomore midfielder Ashley Scesniak capitalized on a penalty kick, sending it past diving senior KSU goalkeeper Sarah Melen and into the back right corner. 

Just two minutes later, the Chippewas took a 2-0 lead on a corner kick. Scesniak crossed the ball to junior midfielder Megan Logue, standing kitty-corner of the post, who snuck a header into the goal. 

“But now as you can see, our younger players have really stepped up and started to play a lot better, which is good,” Groves said. “You know, they're starting to understand what we want from them. I think they understand what it takes to play. And I think although it's been tough, I think it's been a great thing for the younger players that they've got so many minutes this year, and hopefully, that will help them in the future years to come.”

In an aggressive second period, senior defender Tianna Harris put the Golden Flashes on the board scoring their first goal with 24 minutes left to play. 

At the 73-minute mark, a pile-up of Chippewas and Golden Flashes in front of the goal led to Harris pushing the ball into the goal to tie the game 2-2. 

“You know, we made some good headers, some good blocks, and stuff like that,” Groves said. “But that being said, I think we had a couple of chances when we could have got more out of that game as well.”

The Chippewas will take on Ball State in their final game of the regular season on Thursday at 3 p.m.