CMU soccer losing streak grows to three

d-cmusoccer-photo-09-29-22-4
Junior defender Matilda Melin heads the ball during the game against Bowling Green State on Thursday, Sept. 29 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

The first Mid-American Conference win is still being sought out by Central Michigan soccer (1-7-2, 0-3-1) as they fell 2-0 to Northern Illinois. 

Sunday afternoon's contest marked the Huskies (5-4-2, 2-2) first home win of the season over the Chippewas.

The Huskies opened up the scoring late in the first half at the 29-minute mark after a penalty shot took a rebound off freshman goalkeeper Emma Shingler's save. NIU junior midfielder Claudia Muessig coraled it and buried the ball into the top right corner taking a 1-0 lead. 

“We are starting to get better in terms of competing and not making mistakes," said head coach Jeremy Groves. “I think we played a lot like last week and we played hard and fought. And I think that is something that we’ve talked about in practice, and it's actually something that we brought into the game today and that was very good to see.”

Four minutes into the second half, the Huskies took a 2-0 lead over the Chippewas when junior midfielder Jamie Ward struck a ball off the reaching hand's of Shingler and into the back of the goal. 

The Chippewas junior defender Matilda Melin led both teams with three shots on goal. 

“Matilda has always been one we can rely on,” Groves said. "She is always there hustling, and I think she brings something special to the team. I think she has stepped up a lot and I think she will be kind of down on herself and frustrated she wasn't able to complete those goals.”

NIU had 17 total shots with eight on goal while CMU only put up seven shots and five on goal.

The Chippewas will be back in action on Thursday in Kalamazoo taking on Western Michigan at 4 p.m.